[Libvir] man page for virsh

Andrew Puch apuch at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 02:35:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 09:29 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:24:49PM -0400, andrew puch wrote:
> >
> > Enclosed is the man and the html page that were generated from POD Plain
> > Old Doc from perl.
>
>   Cool ! Thanks, I'm adding the man page to the distribution. However
> I don't feel like adding the pod file directly, I'm a bit concerned by the
> building dependancy it represents so I can't make it really part of the
> sources. I'm more used to DocBook based man pages, even though I think
> it is a pain to maintain.
Nod , maybe a make doc part of the make file ??

Are choices are as follows

# 1 pod , some say it is evil do to the perl.

# 2 docbook2x
	http://docbook2x.sourceforge.net/
	Some say it is evil do to the nature of the perl, that
	allows the above program  to do the the man pages.

# 3 create yet another program to do the above.

>   Also in that line of thinking, I think that based on doc/libvirt-api.xml
> it should be relatively easy to developp a program (XSLT or Python) generating
> the man page for libvirt.3 , except that I really don't know my roff and
> don't know what need to be generated in practice ...

If we want to do down the path of docbook, then I think we should
leverage the +2 man years in docbook2x, vs rolling a new program that
will take us a few go around to get right.

I will see how hard it will be to roll out the docbook2x man page
solution for the next release of libvirt.

If it looks promising I might need to roll up some of docbook2x rpms for
us to place into extras if they are not there already.

Also going down the doc book path, do we want to start with the
internationalization efforts ??