Re: [Libvir] Semantics for ListDomains/ ListDefinedDomains

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 07:16:45PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> So I was thinking a little about lifecycle support for passive domains in
> libvirt and wanted to clarify the intended semantics of the two methods:
>
>   virConnectListDomains
>   virConnectListDefinedDomains
>
> Am I correct in thinking that  virConnectListDefinedDomains will list a
> domain if-and-only-if its state == 'shutoff', and that virConnectListDomains
> will list a domain if-and-only-if its state != 'shutoff'

 yes

> ie, when I start a defined domain with 'virDomainCreate', it will be removed
> from the 'ListDefinedDomains' set and added to the 'ListDomains' set.
> Likewise when shutting down it'll move back the other way. Or will the
> virConnectListDefinedDomains  call always list a domain with a config
> file, even if it is running ?

  I expected to have 2 disjoint sets, a partition.

> I realize this is a little hypothetical since XenD doesn't have lifecycle
> management yet, but it matters to the test backend, and any potential
> QEMU / UML backend, and the future XenD XML-RPC backend

  I was tempted to do an implementation just local to the library instance
in the case there is no support by the virtualization engine. If you think
you will use it then I should really implement it :-)