[Libvir] Still can't run a simple python test libvirt !

Omer Khalid Omer.Khalid at cern.ch
Tue Dec 19 15:40:43 UTC 2006

Thank you Daniel! So setting up the PYTHONPATH variable did the trick!
Although the simple test executes, but with an interesting error complaining
about an undefined symbol in libvirtmod.so

[root at lcgctb9 libvirt]# python testLibvirt.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "testLibvirt.py", line 1, in ?
    import libvirt
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 7, in ?
    import libvirtmod
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libvirtmod.so: undefined
symbol: PyEval_ThreadsInitialized

Regards
Omer

On 12/19/06, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 04:03:43PM +0100, Omer Khalid wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am still unable to run my simple libvirt test!
> >
> > I checked out the code from libvirt cvs and following the instructions
> till
> > 'make install'. It all went well. So then I ran my simply python test,
> as
> > shown here (http://www.libvirt.org/python.html). It keeps on giving me
> the
> > following error.
> >
> > [root at lcgctb9 libvirt]# python testLibvirt.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "testLibvirt.py", line 1, in ?
> >    import virt
> > ImportError: No module named virt
>
> The python modiule is called 'libvirt' not 'virt'.
>

> > I have verified that the library is linked by the following:
> >
> > [root at lcgctb9 libvirt]# pkg-config libvirt --libs
> > -L/usr/local/lib -lvirt -lxenstore
> >
> > [root at lcgctb9 libvirt]# pkg-config --variable=prefix libvirt
> > /usr/local
>
> Since you installed into /usr/local, I suspect you'll need to also set
> PYTHONPATH environment variable to tell python to look there for modules
> it loads.  eg  export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages
>
> Dan.
> --
> |=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston.  +1 978 392 2496
> -=|
> |=-           Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/
>               -=|
> |=-               Projects: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/
> -=|
> |=-  GnuPG: 7D3B9505   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B
> 9505  -=|

CERN – European Organization for Nuclear Research
Information Technology Department
CH-1211 Geneva 23

Phone: +41 (0) 22 767 7996
Fax:     +41 (0) 22 767 4900