[Libvir] Updated patch for hvm guests

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Jul 10 10:22:39 UTC 2006

 Hi Jim,

 hope you enjoyed your vacations :-)

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 04:02:54PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Attached is an updated patch providing some support for HVM guests.  I
> have tested listing info on running guests and creating guests.  cdrom
> support for HVM guests still needs some work, as does graphics options.
> Guests using graphics type 'sdl' still need some work.  Using type 'vnc'
> is functional, but you must then manually use e.g. "vncviewer
> localhost:<dom_id>" to view.

  Okay, I have been looking at it in the last couple of days
I have changed the XML description slightly in the os part:
  - instead stating that hvmloader is a kernel, well I used a
    <loader>/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader</loader>
    loader tag intead, contrary to the non HVM version the kernel
    doesn't point to a kernel file, so better rename to what it actually is
  - second the device_model is really a device emulator, better placed
    in the <devices> section so it is moved there as
    <emulator>/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>
I have made changes to the XML conversion code to reflect this, I will commit
whithin one hour or two. Attached is one example of the XML for HVM.

> I've also included a patch that backs out some optimizations done
> xend_internal.c.  There is a bug in xend (from testing - I think Anthony
> fixed it and patch got applied to unstable) that does not close the
> connection after initial create op causing libvirt to block
> indefinitely.  Backing out the optimizations allowed me to use the hvm
> patch on _testing branch of xen.  I've included it for anyone else that
> may want to experiment with the hvm patch on _testing xen.

  Okay I applied it, it is clearly identified and we can revert it later,
more likely this current code will die slowly when converted to XML-RPC.

> Finally, the attached archive contains: 1. a sample xml input file for
> hvm guest, 2. corresponding s-expr sent to xend, and 3. s-expr returned
> from xend when getting info on the running guest.

  Thanks, that helped a lot :-)