[Libvir] possible bug in virDomainLookupByID

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 18 16:21:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:48:29AM -0400, Bryan D. Payne wrote:
> I'm experiencing an odd problem in virDomainLookupByID when using 0.1.3
> that does not exist when using 0.1.1.  Perhaps this is a side effect of
> switching the backend connection?  I'm curious is anyone else has seen
> this and/or if you have any suggestions for fixing it.
>
> The attached code generates the problem that I'm seeing.  Specifically,
> after upgrading to 0.1.3, calling virDomainLookupByID twice results in a
> failure on the second call.  This behavior was not seen in 0.1.1.  Any
> thoughts?

You dont mention whether you are running the test case as root or an
unprivileged user ?  Also what config options are in your /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
file ?

As root your test case succeeds in getting the XML.
As non-root, I see a failure on the first call - the test case is a little
bit misleading though - virDomainLookupByID is working fine - the place I
see failure  is in the virDomainGetXMLDesc - which is because the setuid
proxy doesn't not yet support fetching the XML.

The only thing I can think ofis that you have  HTTP enabled for XenD so
that getting the XML is working, but then for some reason the proxy is
shutting down prematurely causing a failure of virDomainLookupByID. If
you could send your exact /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp file it would help me
reproduce the problem here. Oh, what Xen version and distro are you using
And is it 32 or 64 bit would be helpful

> PS... This problem is seen in XenAccess.  Thanks to Daniele Sgandurra for
> bringing it to my attention.

I'm curious - what is XenAccess you mention here ? Is this some application
being developed with libvirt ?

Regards,
Dan.