Re: [Libvir] just a question about virDomainLookupByName function

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 05:00:47PM +0200, Philippe Berthault wrote:
> An ID may be passed to virDomainLookupByName function.
> In exemple:
>    virDomainLookupByName(conn, "1")
>    is equivalent to
>    virDomainLookupByID(conn, 1)

  humm ... bizarre, I never noticed that :-)

> This functionality is very useful but isn't written in the libvirt
> documentation.
>
> Is this functionality will continue to exist in future versions of
> libvirt or not ?

  Well, I'm afraid it may be a specific property of the interface to xend
used, I honnestly don't know why this worked, this wasn't expected.
  I would not rely on it, and also depending on the available interfaces
virDomainLookupByName and virDomainLookupByID could be really expensive
or really cheap, they don't have the same properties, also IDs can change
for example if you do save and restore operations of a domain.