[Libvir] autogen.sh error

Ronald Aigner ra3-libvirt at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Mar 10 09:06:41 UTC 2006

Daniel Veillard wrote on 03/09/2006 11:28 AM this:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:12:45AM +0100, Ronald Aigner wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>I downloaded libvirt from CVS and tried to run autogen.sh which stops
>>with the following error message:
>>configure: error: Xen store library not found
>>
>>What else do I need?
>

>   At this point you need to have Xen installed, at least to be able to
> compile even if you don't run it. Depending on your environment it may be
> as simple as "yum install xen", or a bit more painful.
Ok. I downloaded and build Xen 3.0.1. After that I ran 'make dist'
because I did not (yet) wanted to install Xen.
However, I couldn't build libvirt just yet. I added the attached patch
to configure.in and ran 'autogen.sh
--with-xen-distdir=$(HOME)/src/xen-3.0-testing/dist'

I also needed to install libxml2-dev and libreadline5-dev on my Debian
(stable) system for a successful configure run. After that I could
compiler libvirt.

>>How do I implement support for another hypervisor? Where do I have to
>>turn which screws?
>

>   Currently there is only Xen support, I'm starting to work on glue for
> QEmu, but this requires first modification on QEmu and I'm working
> on that. As discussed last week (see the list archive) we will need some
> code refactoring to really implement access to other hypervisors/emulators.
>   What do you have in mind ?
I am part of the L4 group in Dresden (www.l4hq.org and
www.tudos.org/L4). It seems reasonable to combine efforts to provide
some hypervisor management facilities. Some collegue pointed me to the
libvirt project. I am well aware that there is more to the
virtualization effort than 'just' providing another backend to libvirt.

So, we think that it is a good idea to integrate our facilities to
manage (para-)virtualized operating systems on L4 into libvirt. What do
you think?

> My current plan at the moment is the following:
>  1/ get pending patches from Anthony Liguori
>  2/ cleanup the code base to have unified code formatting at least
>  3/ provide a back-end to be able to access QEmu
>  4/ based on that refactor the internals to better integrate new engines
>
> Now if you want to help, explain what you would like to add and maybe we
> can start the refactoring earlier, I just wanted to make progresses on
> a different engine first before trying to redesign the internals.
>
>   makes sense ?
Sure does.

I will have a look at the functionality currently required by libvirt
and try to match it to infrastructure we have here (it's basically a
decomposed dom0).

Thanks for the help and insights,
Ron.