[Libvir] Re: support for hvm guests

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Thu May 4 00:47:30 UTC 2006

Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 09:43:36AM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>>

>>> Currently I can get info on hvm domains but unable to create them.
>>> The create request is sent to xend but then blocks reading from xend
>>> in xend_req().  No problem creating the domain using xm.  I have
>>> looked at the config coming into xend and it is identical between xm
>>> and virsh/libvirt.  Need to poke around xend and see why there is no
>>> response to the virsh/libvirt create request for hvm domains.
>>>

>>  Hum, basically to debug this kind of things I spend my time in
>> /var/log/xend.log especially since it prints what it received at
>> creation
>> time, you can at least check the informations coming from libvirt and
>> from xm look alike.
>>  Unfortunately I won't be able to help you, first because I'm about to
>> take vacations for 3 weeks :-), second because I don't have one of those
>> new Intel CPUs, but I am sure others will give an hand if needed.
>>

> Well, I have found the problem but not a fix :-).  When posting the
> create op to xend, the libvirt code currently waits for a response
> from xend (xend_req() is called after posting in xend_post()).  For
> hvm guests, xend does not respond and libvirt blocks indefinitely on
> read.  If I skip over the call to xend_req() for the create operation,
> wait_for_devices() and subsequently unpause() are called and the hvm
> guest is launched.

What do you mean by Xend does not respond?

The path is a normal domain_create().  The path within Xend is
server/XMLRPCServer.py but that's a very thin wrapper around a direct
call to XendDomain.py:domain_create().  domain_create() should always
return.  If it's not, there's a bug in Xend I think.

Can you give me a very concrete test case for this?  The exact
parameters being passed to domain_create() (it should just be an
S-Expression config).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori