[Libvir] ANNOUNCE: Virt-top - a top-like utility for displaying virtualization stats

Jan Michael Jan.Michael at cern.ch
Tue Aug 7 09:44:05 UTC 2007

Hi Richard,

On 07.08.2007, at 10:40, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> That's a really strange error.  I just downloaded and compiled
> 0.3.1 here with no problem, so it may be something to do with the
> version of gnutls you are using.

I have installed these rpm packages:

	gnutls-devel-1.0.20-3.2.3
	gnutls-1.0.20-3.2.3

In consideration of the version Daniel is using, these ones are
fairly old, but the latest available for my distribution (Scientific
Linux)

> Can you send me the complete output of ./configure and make please.

Sure! Please find them attached to this mail.

> If you're on x86-64 then the binary (http://www.annexia.org/tmp/
> virt-top/virt-top-0.3.1.2-1.fc8.x86_64.rpm) should just work for
> you.  If you're on another arch, or if it doesn't work, then I can
> install RHEL 4 ES here and guide you through the build process -
> I've only tried it on RHEL 5 / F7 myself.

I have also a 64-bit machine installed with Scientific Linux 4.5. On
that machine I tried to install the rpm mentioned by you:

<rpm log>
[root at pcitfiot08 opt]# rpm -ivh virt-top-0.3.1.2-1.fc8.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit) is needed by virt-
top-0.3.1.2-1.fc8.x86_64
         libtinfo.so.5()(64bit) is needed by virt-
top-0.3.1.2-1.fc8.x86_64
         libvirt.so.0()(64bit) is needed by virt-
top-0.3.1.2-1.fc8.x86_64
<rpm log>

I have no glibc 2.4 rpm package which is supported by our linux
support. The same problem is with ncurses. If I understand things
right then libtinfo is included in ncurses >= 5.6. We are still using
5.4. No newer package is available.

Is my distro to old for libvirt > 1.9 and vir-top? Or ist there any
chance to get those things working without updating the whole system?

Thanks,

	Jan