Re: [Libvir] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: virt-viewer release 0.0.1

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 04:10:52PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
  Hi,

To connect to the guest with ID 7 running under QEMU

   virt-viewer --connect qemu:///system 7
Can we *please* think about a standardized environment variable to set
the default for --connect and which all tools are looking at?

Yes, this would be useful.

virsh has VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI for that.

I'd like to have *one* variable used by *all* libvirt-based tools,
virt-viewer, virt-manager, virsh, ...  We could simply reuse the virsh
variable, or we could pick some other name without virsh in there,
preferable also shorter and thus easier to remember.  VIRT_URI maybe?

We should probably apply the change to libvirt, so that if 'NULL' is used
for the connect URI for virConnectOpen, and VIRT_CONNECT_URI is set, then
NULL gets substituted with the value of the env variable.

Very good idea.

Rich.