[Libvir] feature sujestions

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 16:41:22 UTC 2007

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Márcio Parise Boufleur wrote:
>>    Hello, I'm a grad student from Brazil. I was looking for some
>> interesting project to do as my final work and it I think that
>> contributing to your project would be a great achievement to me.
>>    Do you have some kind list with feature suggestions? I am
>> particularly interested in remote administration. I helped a colleague
>> to write a graphical tool to administrate a remote Xen site last year.
>
> Hello Marcio,
>
> We have remote administration working for the command line tools (like
> virsh), but virt-manager still has a few problems, so any help you can
> give there would be welcome.
>
> Some other features off the top of my head:
>
>  - Fleshing out all the QEMU & KVM features, so that QEMU & KVM
> support is as good as Xen support.  See all the 'x' squares on this
> page: http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html
>
>  - Help with really getting virt-manager to work remotely.  Allow
> drag-and-drop in virt-manager to migrate domains between hypervisors.
>
>  - Help porting and packaging for other systems (Debian, Gentoo, *BSD,
> Solaris, Windows, ... -- some of these have porting projects already,
> so your time is best spent joining and working with existing projects)
>
>  - More static analysis of code paths, particularly memory
> allocation/deallocation and error handling, where in both cases there
> are lots of little-used paths with problems
> (http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/cil-analysis-of-libvirt/)
>
>  - Help Shuveb Hussain with OpenVZ work
>
>  - VMWare
>
>  - I don't know how good the Portuguese translation of the libvirt /
> virt-manager strings is -- maybe it could do with checking.
>
> Rich.

Throwing one more thing out there, that's tangentially related, since
you said you were interested in UI things:

Some distributed stuff to complement the remote features above:
Cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com) integration with virt-manager for
being able to graphically pick what profile the user wants to install
from a list of remote boot servers.   (There's an XMLRPC API for this),
and also ways to configure the boot server from a simple GTK app (not
part of virt-manager).      This could be of use where people want to
roll out configurations that someone else has set up for them, but they
are not comfortable with the command line tools.   Perhaps it would be
possible to export a set of virt-manager settings to Cobbler for reuse
by virt-manager users on other machines.

libvirt/virt-manager guys are welcome to overrule that suggestion, as
the previous suggestions are already great :)

--Michael