[Libvir] using gnulib: starting with the physmem and getaddrinfo modules

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 10:02:59 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> I think the source code should go into  gnulib/*.[ch]  in case we
> ever want to have a lib/ dir for code shared by the daemon & library.
> There's no need to pollute the top level dir with gl-tests, when we
> can have  tests/gnulib/, or  gnulib/tests/.  We've already got an m4/
> directory, so we might as well use that (or a m4/gnulib, or gnulib/m4
> subdir).

Minor point here, but the way that Jim's bootstrap script is set up, it
will create a gnulib/ temporary directory if it needs to git-clone gnulib.

> I don't want a dependancy on a script pulling in files from another random
> project that we have to grab from the internet.

And this, I think, is the reason to check in the generated source files
to CVS.  It's not something I'd normally advocate, but there is surely a
special exception to be made if (a) the file has to be downloaded from
somewhere or (b) the file rarely changes and is hard to generate.  The
'rpcgen'-generated files fall into (b), and the gnulib files fall into
both categories.

> Given a fresh CVS checkout of libvirt & fresh Fedora/RHEL/etc OS
> install one should be able to do a full build without requiring extra
> code checkouts from unrelated projects. Since gnulib is only distributed
> in source form, and not available from the OS package manager, the
> only viable approach is to commit the GNULib files to CVS.

Agreed.

Rich.