[Libvir] Availability of the Relax-NG schemas for libvirt XML instances

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 23:55:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:39:45AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   As hinted previously in the QEmu thread, I developped a Relax-NG schemas to
> check the XML instances used to define Domains in libvirt. It's in CVS
> in the docs directory and also available online at
>    http://libvirt.org/libvirt.rng
>
> For those not familiar with Relax-NG there is a nice tutorial and docs at
>    http://relaxng.org/
>
> Still despite the limitations I found 2 weirdness:
>
>    - we allow both <os> and <bootloader> blocks to be present, but I think they
>      are redundant, I remember that Xen will ignore the bootloader informations
>      if the os description is there, shouldn't we ban having both in a domain
>      description ? e.g. tests/sexpr2xmldata/sexpr2xml-curmem.xml in the tree
>      I still allowed this in the schemas but this may be wrong.

There is one further complication with the <os> block - currently you have
two sets of definitions - one showing the Xen paravirt style config of an
explicit kernel, initrd & cmdline; the other showing HVM style of a boot
device & a loader. Well QEMU  fully-virt guests can actually work with
either a boot device, or an explicit kernel & initrd. So I think we need
to combine the two for QEMU / KVM guests at least.

>    - I though an interface of type ethernet needed a source description,
>      but the output tests/sexpr2xmldata/sexpr2xml-net-routed.xml seems to miss
>      both the source and target of the interface though the device is
>      present in tests/sexpr2xmldata/sexpr2xml-net-routed.sexpr as (dev 'eth3')
>      this probably indicates our conversion from sexpr to xml is lossy there.

Yeah, I might well have made a mistake in there. I'll check up on it.

The rest of it all looks very good & accurate wrt what we intend to allow
in the XML file.

Regards,
Dan.