[Libvir] Virtual networking

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 17:20:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 19:09 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> This reminds me of something I've not explicitly said elsewhere. While
> libvirt API may support multiple difference hypervisors, I'm rather
> expecting that the common case usage will be that any single host will
> only ever use one particular hypervisor. ie, a host will be providing
> Xen, or QEMU+KVM or VMWare or XXX - I think its reasonable to expect
> that people won't run both Xen and QEMU+KVM on the same host.
>
> So, one does not neccessarily have to expose the type of guest to the
> end user - one could say 'give me the hypervisor connection for this host'
> and it would auto-detect what hypervisor is available for that host.

	e.g. a user might have the following options:

  1) Run virt-manager, enter the root password, manage Xen guests

  2) Run virt-manager, choose "run unprivileged", manage QEMU guests

  3) Run virt-manager on the command line as root with --qemu

	If that *is* the only way we'd expose QEMU support, then libvirt's API
is just fine in this respect.

	I had assumed we'd have "run under Xen" and "run under QEMU" in the
"create new guest" dialog. But that's a stupid question to ask
someone ... one should not need to care what type of VM it is.

	So, hurrah! virt-manager will be sane in this respect and only the
not-so-sane app authors will get pissed with libvirt about this :-)

Cheers,
Mark.