[Libvir] Register libvirtd ports with IANA ?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 11:09:33 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> For the libvirtd we currently use two ports
>
>   16509  - TCP unencrypted stream
>   16514  - TLS encrypted stream
>
> My first thought is that we should really use consequetive port numbers
> eg 16510 and 16511.

A few comments ...

We don't need to use two ports if we either use a "STARTTLS"-style
upgrading of unencrypted to encrypted connections (which is the
recommended way to do things instead of using two ports), or more simply
we just ditch unencrypted connections.  They're disabled by default
anyway and not in any way required unless we want libvirt to build
without GnuTLS.

The port number (16514) is not allocated by IANA, which is good.

IANA registration is a good thing because it makes it less likely that
libvirtd will fail to start because some other service is using that port.

No one got my ZX81 joke, obviously ...

Rich.