[Libvir] [RFC] Host and guest capabilities

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 12:35:20 UTC 2007

I've been looking into the parts of virtinst which try to probe the
capabilities of the host directly, rather than being abstracted through
libvirt (for example, opening and parsing
/sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities directly).

Attached is a proposed API for probing the capabilities and supported
guest architectures of the hypervisor / driver.

I've implemented the virCapabilities part already.  My original
implementation of the guest architectures had virCapabilities containing
a list of supported architectures, but that doesn't nearly cover the
richness of what the underlying drivers could support, so I'm currently
separating that out into a separate virConnectGetGuestArchitectures call.

Let me know your opinions of this API.

As an aside, the current virt-manager "choose paravirt / fullvirt"
screen doesn't really capture the full, shall I say, ugliness of the
possible choices for architecture, particularly when we add qemu, kqemu,
and emulation in the mix.  I suspect that presenting a list of
architectures here, perhaps with some options to show only paravirt,
show only fullvirt, show only accelerated ...

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421