[Libvir] Inconsistent networking between Xen & QEMU

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 19:17:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 18:52 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 04:44:17PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > 	Rather you suggest that if people want to use bridging, then they
> > should modify the default network XML config by hand and not have the
> > latter option in the UI?
>
> How they configure the network XML is a completely separate issue - we could
> easily have UI in virt-manager for creating/deleteing/editing networks in
> the same way we have UI for creating/deleting/editing domains.

	... except you'd again have need an API for iterating physical network
devices ...

> > 	That introduces this user visible notion of a bridge vs. a router,
> > which is just horrible. But, I guess you're saying you wouldn't have it
> > in the UI.
>
> Just because the different bridge vs routed confoigs are represented in the
> libvirt XML one way, doesn't force our hand in our we present it to the user.
> Any network with a '<device name='eth0'> tag could be displayed in the
> 'physical interfaces' drop down, while any without that tag would be
> in the 'Network' drop down.

	Well, except that you're suggesting "connect to physical interface
eth0" should be a property of a virtual network, but I think it makes
more sense for it to be the property of a virtual nic.

	e.g. connect your qemu guests to the default network, connect your Xen
guests to the eth0 bridge.

Cheers,
Mark.