[Libvir] Please check my autoconf libvirt.m4

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 23 18:21:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:13:05PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >>I should add that I use it like this:
> >>
> >>  dnl Check for libvirt, sets LIBVIRT_VERSION.
> >>  AC_LIBVIRT
> >>
> >>  dnl Libvirt must be >= 0.2.1
> >>  AC_MSG_CHECKING([libvirt >= 0.2.1])
> >>  if test $LIBVIRT_VERSION -ge 2001; then
> >>     AC_MSG_RESULT([ok])
> >>  else
> >>     AC_MSG_ERROR([please upgrade your libvirt library])
> >>  fi
> >
> >I don't see that this buys us much over just doing
> >
> >  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBVIRT, libvirt >= 0.2.1)
> >  AC_SUBST(LIBVIRT_CFLAGS)
> >  AC_SUBST(LIBVIRT_LIBS)
> >
> >which already works...
>
> Hmmm.  pkg-config doesn't work with packages installed in non-standard
> places.

Sure it does, just tell it what other prefixes you install stuff
into, eg

  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/usr/lib/pkg-config

>        (In fact for me the use of PKG_CHECK_MODULES in configure.in
> prevents me from installing on Debian at all, but that's possibly
> another story).

Broken debian pkg-config install ? Pretty much all libraries are switching
to use of pkg-config these days precisely because it allows all of the
million variations of per-library custom autoconf crack to be removed.
Anything which removes use of m4 is a good idea :-)

Dan.