[Libvir] QEMU without KVM

Steven W. Moyer smoyer at c-cor.com
Thu May 17 13:39:01 UTC 2007

Thanks Dan!   I was indeed missing some modules (I just switched to the 2.6.20 kernel series and didn't find a couple of the necessary switches in menuconfig).  I'm still having problems with the networking.

If I try to start libvirt_qemud without have the bridge defined, I get this error:

smoyernew images # libvirt_qemud --system
iptables: Invalid argument
Failed to autostart network 'default': failed to add iptables rule to allow forwarding to 'virbr0' : Invalid argument

If I create virbr0 and then start libvirt_qemud, I get this error:

smoyernew images # libvirt_qemud --system
Failed to autostart network 'default': cannot create bridge 'virbr0' : File exists

In any case, the guest domains don't end up with connectivity through the bridge.  I think I'm missing something basic, but it's been a while since I used iptables for anything.

I also have one error that I'm trying to track down from virt-manager's GUI.  I seem to have something misconfigured with GTK and dbus:

(virt-manager.py:5482): Gdk-WARNING **: Connection to display localhost:10.0 appears to be untrusted. Pointer and keyboard grabs and inter-client communication may not work as expected.
libvir: QEMU error : internal error cannot create bridge 'virbr0' : File exists
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/host.py", line 117, in start_network
    net.start()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/network.py", line 64, in start
    self.net.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 402, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virNetworkCreate() failed', net=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: virNetworkCreate() failed internal error cannot create bridge 'virbr0' : File exists
/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py:242: GtkWarning: Coercing GDK_INPUT_ONLY toplevel window to GDK_INPUT_OUTPUT to work around bug in Xorg server
  gtk.main()
process 5482: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

Thanks again for all the help!

smoyer

--
Steven W. Moyer
Principle Architect, Assurance Applications

C-COR Solutions, LLC
60 Decibel Road
State College, PA  16801

Office Phone: 814-231-4408