[Libvir] [RFC] Linux-VServer support

Daniel Hokka Zakrisson daniel at hozac.com
Thu Nov 1 01:11:07 UTC 2007

(Sorry about the resend, missed the list and DV the first time.)

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 02:24:58PM +0100, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> Great to see interest in adding more drivers ! I've not had time to look
>>> at your patch in great detail yet, but I'll give some more detailed
>>> feedback in the next day or so. My first comment though - why the
>>> <xid>123</xid> field in the XML - the unique integer ID for a domain
>>> should really be in the 'id' attribute  <domain id='123'>. There are a
>>> couple of other small XML format consistency issues like that to check
>>> up on.
>> Yeah, the only reason I did it with a separate element was that I really
>> don't know XPath, so I hadn't figured out how to get the id in that case.
>>
>>> NB, in most cases there is no need to implement network support in each
>>> driver. The libvirt networking APIs happen to be implemented in the QEMU
>>> driver codebase, but they're not really dependant on QEMU - the same
>>> functionality is shared across all drivers. If you connect to the Xen
>>> hypervisor, libvirt will auto-magically hook up the networking APIs to
>>> go via the QEMU driver. The same should work OK for VServer without
>>> you needing todo anything special.
>> Well, Linux-VServer is different from most (all?) other virtualization
>> technologies in that we do IP isolation, rather than virtualizing the
>> network stack. This means that guests are merely limited to a subset of
>> the IP addresses assigned to the host, so there's no routing or bridging
>> involved.
>
> Ok, well the virNetwork APIs have a pretty well defined semantics
>
>   - It provides a bridge device in the host with an IP from admin
>     defined range (typically IPv4 private range, but not restricted)
>   - The bridge is connected to the public nework via NAT
>   - Guest VMs have a tap device enslaved in the bridge which is
>     connected to the emulated NIC inside the guest.
>   - Guest NIC gets assigned an IP via DHCP
>
> Some container technologies enable each container to have private 'tap'
> style interfaces which are plumbed through to the host networking. If
> this is the case for VServer, then it would be possible to connect a
> VServer container to one or more of the libvirt virtual networks. In

No, everything is shared with the host, the guest is just restricted to
a subset of the assigned IP addresses. We don't deal with interfaces at
all, other than to bring up the necessary addresses on the right one
when it's started (if requested).

> any case there is no need to implement the virNetwork* APIs specifically
> within the VServer driver to do the guest <-> network connectiion. The
> virNetwork* APIs are merely concerned with configuring & managing the
> bridge device in the host. The drivers take care of adding the tap
> device per guest themselves as part of the virDomainCreate/Start APis.

Okay, so I'll just remove all of that.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson