[Libvir] Concepts in storage management

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 13:58:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:19:29PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Storage attributes
> ==================
>
>   - Local vs network    (ext3 vs NFS, SCSI vs iSCSI)
>
>   - Private vs shared   (IDE vs FibreChannel)
>
>   - Pool vs volume      (LVM VG vs LV, Directory vs File, Disk vs Partition)
>
>   - Container vs guest  (OpenVZ vs Xen)
>
>   - Attributes
>      - Compressed
>      - Encrypted
>      - Auto-extend
>
>   - Snapshots
>      - RO
>      - RW
>
>   - Partition table
>      - MBR
>      - GPT
>
>   - UUID
>      - 16 hex digits
>      - Unique string
>      - SCSI WWID  (world wide ID)
>
>   - Local Path(s)   (/dev/sda, /var/lib/xen/images/foo.img)
>
>   - Server Hostname
>
>   - Server Identifier (export path/target)
>
>   - MAC security label (SELinux)
>
>   - Redundancy
>      - Mirrored
>      - Striped
>      - Multipath
>
>   - Pool operation
>      - RO
>      - RW

It was mentioned offlist that I didn't include security/authorization
in this mail. I had it in my offline notes...

  - NFS
     - server side ACL based on client IP ranges
     - Kerberos GSSAPI. Client credentials taken from /etc/krb5.tab

  - iSCSI
     - server side ACL based on client IP ranges
     - CHAP  username+password supplied when attaching target to client
     - Spec for Kerberos. Not GSSAPI based. Not implemented in Linux client
       or server. Frowned upon by IETF kerberos experts since it isn't GSSAPI

  - QCow
     - passphrase needed by process (eg QEMU) accessing the file

  - dm-crypt
     - passphrase needed when activating the volume

Dan.