[Libvir] proposal: remove contradictory indentation directive

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 18:46:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:42:01PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Agreed, good idea.
> >
> > ACK.
> >
> > Could we get a make syntax-check test to look for these bogus tabs too
>
> I've done that.
> Abbreviated patches below.
>
> However, there are some "issues" to consider.
> Any global space-changing delta like these is going to cause
> trouble (conflicts) for people with pending changes and on branches.
> This one isn't too bad (as these things go), since the TAB-to-space
> change affects fewer than 1500 lines in 37 files.  However, the
> new rule enforces the coding standard only in files with an existing
> "indent-tabs-mode: nil" directive.  There are currently 42 .[ch] files
> that don't have such a directive (excluding gnulib/).
>
>     $ git ls-files|grep -E '\.[ch]$'|xargs grep -L indent-tabs-mode|grep -v \
>       gnulib|wc -l
>     42
>
> If I were to do the same for those remaining files,
> the TAB-to-space change would modify an additional 2817 lines
> in 28 files:
>
>     $ git ls-files|grep -E '\.[ch]$'|xargs grep -L indent-tabs-mode|grep -v \
>     gnulib|xargs grep -E '^ *	'|wc -l
>     2817
>     $ git ls-files|grep -E '\.[ch]$'|xargs grep -L indent-tabs-mode|grep -v \
>     gnulib|xargs grep -El '^ *	'|wc -l
>     28
>
> My opinion is that if it's worth doing the first, it's also worth
> finishing the job, ... but then I don't have any huge re-architecting
> changes in my queue.

The only changes I have pending are the host device enumeration patches
which are all new code, so unaffected, and the serial device support for
QEMU which is easy enough to fix-up since its fairly isolated chunks of
code. So I think its a net win to fix up everything.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|