[libvirt] virt-install and custom distros

Kay Williams kwilliams at renditionsoftware.com
Fri Aug 15 19:53:32 UTC 2008

We have an application that builds custom distributions based on RHEL, CentOS or
Fedora.  We would like to install these over the network using virt-install, but
we've run into an issue with the distro check logic. Specifically, virt-install
fails unless it finds a string "Red Hat Enterprise Linux", "Fedora"  or "CentOS"
within the family field of the .treeinfo file.

Our application currently sets the family field to the user-provided distro name
(see below).  We have avoided using the base distro name given trademark concerns.

     [general]
     family = <user provided value>
     variant = <user provided value>

We can get virt-install to pass the distro check by setting the family name to
one of the accepted values, e.g.

     [general]
     family = Fedora
     variant = [user provided distro name]

Is this the expected/desired use for the family and variant fields?  Or is there
another approach we should consider?

Thanks,
Kay