[libvirt] Exposing some unique features?

Nguyen Anh Quynh aquynh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 05:39:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

Though libvirt tries very hard to hide the difference between
hypervisors behind an abstraction layer, there are still differences
that we might want to expose to the users. For example, QEMU has the
monitor interface, which provides some unique functions. Users might
want to have access to the monitor interface and send command to it
(like "gdbserver" command?).

So how can we expose such information? We can have a new driver
function, which return an opaque structure. The content of the
structure is of course depends on the hypervisor type.

One problem is that this might be dangerous if users relies on the
QEMU monitor to execute some functions that should be done under
control.

Idea?

Thanks,
Quynh