[libvirt] Re: XML representation of security labels

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 12:53:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:41:09PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 06:00:36AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > Indeed - I'm not aware of any apps using it yet. It is currently only
> > of marginal benefit, since you can't actually set the label, only see
> > the existing (potentially wrong) label.
>
> It always seemed to me a bit worrying that libvirtd would actually set
> labels on things.  James, am I wrong to be worrying about this?

It depends on the threats you are attempting to protect against.
For the sVirt work we're primarily interested in protecting the
network & host from guests, and guests from each other. libvirtd
is the control plane, so it has no choice but to deal with labelling

If on the other hand we were trying to protect against flaws in
libvirtd itself, then this wouldn't be a viable approach.