[Libvir] [RFC] Add Container support to libvirt

Shuveb Hussain shuveb at binarykarma.com
Thu Jan 17 04:54:44 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 2:30 AM, Dan Smith <danms at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> DL>       <network>
> DL>           <ipaddress>192.168.1.110</ipaddress>
> DL>           <hostname>browndog</hostname>
> DL>           <gateway>192.168.1.1</gateway>
> DL>           <nameserver>192.168.1.1</nameserver>
> DL>           <netmask>255.255.255.0</netmask>
> DL>       </network>
>
> This is me showing my complete ignorance here, but can you enforce the
> hostname inside a container like that?  I would expect that to be done
> by the init scripts inside a container, much like a real machine.

It is most flexible to manage virtual machines from the base machine
on which they run. The idea is to run an agent on the base machine
alone that is able to configure all virtual machines without the need
to have agents inside of each of the virtual machines. When an OpenVZ
VPS is being created, the tools actually set /etc/resolv.conf and also
its IP address from its configuration file. In containers, there are
no tools that do it (yet). As of now, I am too wondering how the
network configuration values in the config are going to be applied to
the virtual machine. If it were like a real virtual machine, then
these things get set from the machine's init script itself, like you
said.

Thanks,
--
Shuveb Hussain