[Libvir] [RFC] Add Container support to libvirt

Vivek Kashyap kashyapv at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 17 07:25:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Shuveb Hussain wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008 2:30 AM, Dan Smith <danms at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> DL>       <network>
>> DL>           <ipaddress>192.168.1.110</ipaddress>
>> DL>           <hostname>browndog</hostname>
>> DL>           <gateway>192.168.1.1</gateway>
>> DL>           <nameserver>192.168.1.1</nameserver>
>> DL>           <netmask>255.255.255.0</netmask>
>> DL>       </network>
>>
>> This is me showing my complete ignorance here, but can you enforce the
>> hostname inside a container like that?  I would expect that to be done
>> by the init scripts inside a container, much like a real machine.
>
> It is most flexible to manage virtual machines from the base machine
> on which they run. The idea is to run an agent on the base machine
> alone that is able to configure all virtual machines without the need
> to have agents inside of each of the virtual machines. When an OpenVZ
> VPS is being created, the tools actually set /etc/resolv.conf and also

Containers  would similarly be managed from the init namespace.

[On 2.6.24 kernel ensure you have cgroup and controllers support
included - CGROUP_* set of config options. Then mount as follows -

mount -t cgroup -o ns none /containers]

If a Container is clone()ed now it will automatically show up in
/containers as node_<pid> of the child. One can then rename this to the
desired name as well as pass the desired hostname as part of the
configuration for the Container wherein its init task/script can set the
hostname.

Am I understanding and correlating the above correctly to what you
mention wrt OpenVZ?

Vivek