[Libvir] update after changing XML

Maxwell Bottiger maxwell.bottiger at itt.com
Tue Jan 29 19:53:57 UTC 2008

Thank you very much for your help.  I have submitted a bugzilla report
asking to update the documentation to fix the bridging XML problem, as
well as perhaps look at the associated error message.

At this point I have my ethernet bridge br0 configured with the IP
192.168.1.23 and my host network looks great.  When I start qemu the
vnet0 adapter is added to the system, and added to br0.  My guest copy
of linux comes up with one ethernet adapter called eth0 and I set the
guest ethernet address to 192.168.1.24.

With all this in place however the guest machine cannot see the network.
Am I still missing a configuration step?

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 17:59 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 05:57:51PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > >My bridge section looks like this:
> > >
> > >    <interface type='bridge'>
> > >      <source dev='br0'/>
> > >      <target dev='vnet7'/>
> > >      <mac address="11:22:33:44:EE:FC"/>
> > >    </interface>
> > >
> > >Do I need to create the vnet7 device before hand?  I thought this might be
> > >something libvirt created on startup.  Or, is the define error related to
> > >something else?  My current XML file appears to be well formed.
> >
> > Looking at the code, I think the error message is misleading.  In fact
> > the problem appears to be that you need to have:
> >
> >      <interface type='bridge'>
> >        <source bridge='br0'/>  <!-- NB -->
> >        <target dev='vnet7'/>
> >        <mac address="11:22:33:44:EE:FC"/>
> >      </interface>
> >
> > Dan is this intended behaviour or a bug?
>
> The error message is wrong - the syntax you show with bridge='br0' is
> the intended format.
>
> Regards,
> Dan.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.