[libvirt] RFC: virt-console

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 18:14:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 07:00:51PM +0100, John Levon wrote:

> > > What?
> >
> >   Well I found that a bit strange, if Daniel Berrange wrote it I doubt the
> > copyright would be Sun Microsystem, and vice-versa, maybe there is an
> > author missing or something.
>
> Dan wrote the original code, and I made significant changes. Thus, Dan's
> copyright and author comment, followed by Sun's. Sun, as a matter of
> policy, don't include author information in source code. If there's some
> clearer way of doing this you can think of, let me know.

Just move the Copyright statement up a few lines in the source file
so its directly below the existing Copyright statement in the file.

> > > Dan). It's not reasonable to expect me to go off and implement
> > > something else altogether (a remote console server).
> >
> >   okay, I wasn't sure it was the plan and I was asking. As Dan pointed
> > out it's the right approach, okay, I'm just surprized.
>
> To be clear, we'd love to see a remote console implementation happen,
> it's just not a priority for us right now.

Newer QEMU also supports the 'telnet' protocol, so we might be better off
just telling people to use a telnet client, and keep this for local only
PTY based console access. Of course you're using Xen with libvirt, so it'd
probably require Xen to port to the newer QEMU codebase before that's an
option for you.