[libvirt] save / restore for KVM

Matthias Pfafferodt matthias.pfafferodt at mapfa.de
Sun Jul 6 14:00:32 UTC 2008

Hello,

Am Samstag, 5. Juli 2008 18:48:13 schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 01:59:26PM +0200, Matthias Pfafferodt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I try to save a KVM domain which has its hard disk on a LVM volume. I can
> > execute the command to save the domain but restore fails
> >
> > # virsh list
> >  Id Name                 State
> > ----------------------------------
> >   3 kvm-linux03          running
> >   4 kvm-linux01          running
> >
> > # virsh save kvm-linux01 ./kvm-linux01.ram
> > Domain kvm-linux01 saved to ./kvm-linux01.ram
> >
> > # virsh list
> >  Id Name                 State
> > ----------------------------------
> >   3 kvm-linux03          running
> >
> > # virsh restore ./kvm-linux01.ram
> > libvir: QEMU error : operation failed: failed to start VM
> > error: Failed to restore domain from ./kvm-linux01.ram
>
> You don't mention which version of KVM or libvirt being used, or which
> distro. If its Fedora then plesae file a bug against libvirt or KVM.
> There's one possible issue in KVM that could be causing it depending
> on which version you're using.

Sorry, I'm using opensuse 10.3 with the following libvirt / kvm packages:

# rpm -qa | grep libvirt
libvirt-python-0.4.4-12.1
libvirt-0.4.4-12.1
libvirt-devel-0.4.4-12.1
libvirt-doc-0.4.4-12.1
# rpm -qa | grep kvm
kvm-70.git-2.4
kvm-kmp-default-70_2.6.22.18_0.2-2.2

> > I tried to save and restore this domain using kvm directly
> >
> > # /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -m 1024 -boot c -drive
> > file=/dev/virtual/kvm_linux01,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
> > nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:00:01:02,vlan=0 -net
> > tap,fd=24,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet3
> > (qemu) savevm kvm-linux01.ram
> > Device id0-hd0 does not support VM state snapshots
>
> Libvirt doesn't use  savevm - it uses the migration protocol support
> instead.

So 'virsh save' should work. Is there a possibility to debug this to get
information why it does not restore the vm? Or to test the used migration
protocol using only one computer?

Matthias

resend - forgot the list ...