[libvirt] Xen config files again

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Jul 6 17:16:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 08:59:55AM -0400, Thomas Moyer wrote:
> You told me earlier that I can pass the name of the VM (which has a
> corresponding .cfg file in /etc/xen) to lookupByName() and then use
> getXMLDesc() to get information in XML format about the VM, but it
> would appear that at least the first function is only useful for
> running VM's not for VM's that are not running.

This depends on the version of Xen. For 3.0.3 or earlier the we look
for inactive VMs in /etc/xen. For 3.0.4 or newer, then we simply ask
XenD for them - it manages inactive domains directly instead of using
the /etc/xen directory.

> Example to clarify my goals:
> 	I use xen-create-image to create the VM.  It puts a config file
> called host1.cfg in /etc/xen.
> 	I would like to have a python script to automatically convert
> this .cfg file to something libvirt can use to start the VM.

If you have 3.0.4 or newer then just do 'xm new CONFIG' and this will
load it into XenD and allow it to be seen by libvirt

> 	Or another option would be some automated method of creating the VM
> in a similar fashion as xen-create-image.

I've not used xen-create-image, but  guessing from its name I'd say
you want to try  virt-install