[libvirt] PV loader in capabilities?

John Levon levon at movementarian.org
Thu Jul 10 13:22:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:08:33AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:07:18AM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> >
> > Why is it NULL instead of the path to pygrub? On Solaris, the path is
> > different.
>
> Loader is refering specifically to the <loader> tag which is a BIOS
> firmware blob.

virt-install code seems to disagree:

        elif self.boot_caps.loader == "pygrub" or (self.boot_caps.loader is None and self.boot_caps.type == "xen"):
            osblob += "  </os>\n"
            osblob += "  <bootloader>/usr/bin/pygrub</bootloader>"

Now, if that's an error, that's fine. I have a patch on the way that fixes up
the pygrub path based upon caps.host.arch when available (as this is always
i86pc on Solaris).

The other Daniel wrote:

> (xend in that case), but the information is not provided there, are
> you suggesting to check a few locations on the filesystem ?

Hard-coding it in libvirt would be fine (in much the same way you do for
emulator and HVM loader today). My patch to virt-install (hopefully)
fixes the code to actually query capabilities for these values, pygrub
excepted.

regards
john