[libvirt] auto shutdown for qemu / kvm

Matthias Pfafferodt matthias.pfafferodt at mapfa.de
Tue Jul 15 22:42:23 UTC 2008

Hello Daniel,

Am Dienstag, 15. Juli 2008 21:17:04 schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:25:01PM +0200, Matthias Pfafferodt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > there is the possibility to autostart a (qemu/kvm) domain. If libvirtd is
> > stopped this domain is killed and the filesystem is in a unclean state. I
> > miss the possible of an 'autostop' option that will shutdown a (qemu/kvm)
> > domain if libvirtd is stopped.
> >
> > I changed the init script of my system (opensuse 11.0) to implement
> > the 'autostop' option. Is there a simpler solution? Do you have tips how
> > to improve the script?
>
> This functionality doesn't belong in the initscripts. It needs to be done
> as part of the individual hypervisor drivers, so for example, it can be
> delegated to XenD daemon, and behaviour controlled  on a per VM basis
> via the API. Many OS don't even use the initscript managing the libvirtd
> daemon via a service management framework, like Upstart.

I know that the init script of libvirt is not the right place. I would like to
have an option within libvirt to do this. The script I have will work for
kvm, but for xen ... ?

If you say 'per VM basis' does this mean an option within the xml definition
of VM is the right way to go? On start / stop of libvirtd the corresponding
actions would have to be initiated (like shutdown all kvm VMs). So a
framework is needed to define which actions should be done an start / stop of
the daemon and an implementation for each hypervisor.

Kind regards

Matthias