[libvirt] attach device on a defined (non-active) vm

It seems that the attach device function really 'attaches' a (live) device to a non-active domain. Is this by design?

Otherwise I would not have a clue how to interpreted this message:

libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err 'Device /dev/xvdp (51952, tap) is already connected.')

(when I try to start the domain)

So what I did; I have created an empty domain without any devices. Loaded that and added a disk.

Stefan