[libvirt] virStorageVolCreateXML vs virStorageVolCloneXML

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 12:18:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:27:49PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is currently no implementation in the api to clone snapshots or
> images. I wonder if we could add an XML node to specify a backed device.
> Or add a new function that allows to clone.

I think this wants to be done with a new API, taking a source volume,
and destination pool as the arguemnts. Something along the lines of

    virStorageVolClone(virStorageVolPtr src,
                       virStoragePoolPtr dst,
                       unsigned int flags);

Although the common & efficient case will be cloning volumes in the
same pool, allowing a pool to be passed in directly, allows us to
clone across pools. eg, clone a LVM volume to a NFS file.

> Like the create is not supported by all pools, cloning should also be
> based on best effort, falling back to cp for non sparse images. (Probably
> a good configuration option)

Basically pool which supports 'create' ought to be usable as a destination
pool - at worst we can do a generic 'cp' style clone if the underlying
pool doesn't have a more efficient method.