[libvirt] PATCH: Support container XML enhancements

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 15:54:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 04:44:32PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 04:20:14PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > This is something I previously submitted as part of one of the LXC
> > patches, but I figure it makes sense on its own, since OpenVZ needs
> > this now too.
>
> No update to libvirt.rng? Or test cases?

Mmm, yes need the RNG file  at least. We need to have a generic test
suite for validating the RNG against the XML files in tests/, as well
as ad-hoc XML files we may add

> >        <os>
> >          <type>exe</type>
> >          <init>/sbin/init</init>
> >        </os>
>
> Will this be optional? Whilst it doesn't exist in any form now, Solaris
> Zones has no such concept (it's /always/ init, but it's also completely
> private to the implementation and should be exposed).

Yes it is completely optional - its not required upon input. If the
driver has a default value it wants to expose it can set it, so its
visible upon XML dump.

> >       <filesystem type='mount'>
> >          <source dir='/some/directory'/>
> >          <target dir='/'/>
> >       </filesystem>
>
> No facility for mount options?

Not until we have a concrete need for them in one of the drivers. We
can add them as attributes on the <source> tag, or child elements, as
we find need for them.

> I don't think any of the stated options would work for ZFS dataset
> delegation, though I suppose that could be added later if it happens.

What is ZFS dataset delegation ?

> What is template?

Templates are a concept OpenVZ / VServer have to simplify management
of container filesystems. Basically a 'canned' filesystem image, that
is instantiated for each container on demand. eg, a tar.gz containing
the FS, that is extracted once for each container using it.