[libvirt] PATCH: Misc fixes to events code

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 22:05:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 04:51:27PM -0500, Ben Guthro wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrange wrote on 11/04/2008 04:42 PM:
>
> > Then there is XenAPI in Xen >= 3.1.0. We don't currently use XenAPI
> > at all, and I'm not up2date on its level of functionality, but in
> > the original scope it was intended to provide full event notification
> > capabilities for VMs. If the XenAPI event stuff was ever implemented,
> > then perhaps we should make use of that, and say older non-XenAPI
> > versions only get a limited sub-set of our events ?
>
> ugh.
>
> I tried using xenapi about 8 months ago...
>
> Back then - it was messy, and underdocumented, IMO - and a large reason
> why  started to look at libvirt in the first place.
> It seemed...shoe-horned into an existing scheme, with a new API.

Yes, I was never a fan of it either, hence why we've tried to make do
with the SEXPR api whereever possible.

> There was some effort a little while back to shore this up...but I don't
> know where, or if that really went anywhere.
>
> I think it would be a mistake to integrate that project into this one.

Well lets just start with STARTED/STOPPED from xenstore, and possibly
try ADDED/REMOVED using inotify on /etc/xen or /var/lib/xend/domains.
These are what virt-manager cares about the most. The others are just
a nice-to-have.

If someone really badly wants the other events in the future, we can
consider a proof of concept of other ideas like XenAPI at that time...