[libvirt] Question about migration on KVM/Qemu

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 10:46:47 UTC 2008

Atsushi SAKAI wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Please let me clearify,
> You mean oVirt does not support migration at this moment,
> Since Migration of KVM/Qemu is not supported on libvirt.

Well, no.  It gets complicated :).  Since migration is one of the important
features of ovirt, we are basically carrying a custom kvm and libvirt patch so
that migration *does* work in ovirt.

The problem is, we can't carry that patch forever, and we can't commit to it for
libvirt either.  For what it's worth, I don't expect that it will take long to
resolve this upstream; once KVM gets it sorted, we will dump ovirt's custom
patches, get Rich's patches into libvirt, and be all upstream then.

Chris Lalancette