[libvirt] libvirt and the lowest common denominator

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 16:03:31 UTC 2009

Hi John,

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 10:39 -0500, John Levon wrote:

> 3. The Sun repository *is* the upstream for xend on Solaris for a number
>    of reasons:
>
> a. The 3.1.x series is only maintained by us, there is no other 3.1 upstream
>
> b. The XenSource upstream does not, and cannot, work on Solaris
>
> c. XenSource have no interest in xend at all and it's effectively
>    unmaintained (with the exception of Novell I think).
> 7. Any change that involves *incompatibility* is clearly different, and
> IMHO not acceptable.

As a thought experiment - if upstream did gain the ability to work on
Solaris, but it worked differently to Sun's version ... how would that
be resolved in libvirt?

Perhaps what you want is for libvirt to take the view that Sun's version
of Xen is an incompatible fork and handle it differently, as if it was
supporting a completely different virt platform?

Cheers,
Mark.