[libvirt] RFC: configuring host interfaces with libvirt

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 21:14:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 03:29 +0000, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 02:59:17AM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
>
> > I am not disagreeing with you, but either way, libvirt needs _some_ way
> > to control host interfaces.
>
> This is far from obvious to me. Could you explain more?

The reasoning goes - similar to what Mark said - something like:
virtualization is concerned with splitting up the physical resources of
a host and presenting them as virtual resources to guests.

Physical resources are (at a minimum) CPU, memory, storage and
networking; in order to split up resources, we need very fine-grained
and low-level control over them - we have that in libvirt for CPU and
memory (via the hypervisor) and for storage through libvirt's storage
API. Adding API to control host interfaces rounds that picture out by
adding fine-grained control for the last major physical resource libvirt
isn't managing yet.

David