[libvirt] save/ restore a domain with kvm

Zvi Dubitzky DUBI at il.ibm.com
Tue Mar 24 15:07:41 UTC 2009

Thanks

a Question if I may.
Are you familiar with the cpuTime of a  VM that we get by libvirt from
virDomainInfoPtr  struct .
Is that the real cpuTime of all the vcpus of a VM  together  ?
e.g   if I  sample this cpuTime   at 2 times apart by 'n' secs  and get
cpuTime1 and cpuTime2 , then if  the  VM has 4 vcpus and they are fully
utilized,
 I will get :  (vcpuTime- vcpuTime1) =  4 *n  . That is  each of the 4
vcpus are fully utilizing the 'n' secs .

thanks

Zvi Dubitzky
Virtualization and System Architecture   Email:dubi at il.ibm.com
IBM Haifa Research Laboratory    Phone: +972-4-8296182
Haifa, 31905, ISRAEL

Dor Laor <dlaor at redhat.com>
23/03/2009 15:24
Please respond to
dlaor at redhat.com

Zvi Dubitzky/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL
cc
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com>, libvir-list at redhat.com
Subject
Re: [libvirt] save/ restore a domain with kvm

Zvi Dubitzky wrote:
> Forgot to say: I am working with kvm-72
> Does that have implication on the correctness of the save/restore of VM
> state ?

Save-restore on upstream kvm versions is rather error prone.
I'm note sure one version is better than the other. Evan today mainline
kvm's
migration is not stable. We'll send patches this week to fix that.

So bottom line, if it works for you, use it.