[libvirt] [Fwd: first cut public API for physical host interface configuration]

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Mar 25 18:16:48 UTC 2009

(Oops, I originally sent this with the wrong return address, which
probably caused it to be silently swallowed...)

To get started integrating libnetcf support into libvirt, the attached
libvirt.h diff has a first attempt at the public API that will hook up
to libnetcf on the libvirtd side. I started out with the virNetwork*
API, and modified/removed as seemed appropriate.

A few points worth mentioning:

virNetwork has "defined" and "active" interfaces, but so far
virInterface just has interfaces, as the active/inactive status is
really controlled by 1) the "onboot" property in the XML, and 2) whether
or not virInterfaceStart() has been called yet.

The _virInterface struct that is referenced here is more or less
identical to _virnetwork.

libnetcf works with netcf structs (one per library instance) and
netcf_if structs (one per interface, multiple per library instance. As
far as I can see right now, the netcf struct will not need to be
referenced directly from the client side, but the netcf_if for each
interface is needed, and I guess a cookie representing it will be sent
to the client side and stored in the _virInterface. Is that what the
UUID in _virNetwork is used for? (I know, I know - "read the code!",
it's just quicker to (and avoids misreading on my part) to ask)

As before, any and all advice/corrections gratefully accepted!