[libvirt] HELP: after host upgrade to F11, guest runs extremely slow

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue May 26 06:49:32 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> Ok, I checked the guest log and it says:
>>> /dev/kvm: no such file or directory.
>>>
>>> So how do I make this node?  Shouldn't libvirt have made it for us?
>>>
>> Ok, once I got both kernel modules loaded, it created the /dev/kvm
>> device and now everything runs fine.
>>
> Well, not quite so fine.  If I reboot the machine then the kvm modules
> are no longer loaded.  How do I keep these modules loaded?

I'm assuming that you haven't installed qemu from the F-11 packages.  If you
install the qemu-system-x86 on F-11, it comes with a file
/etc/sysconfig/modules/kvm.modules.  On bootup, any scripts in that directory
are executed, and that command automatically loads the appropriate modules for
you.  If you don't want to install the F-11 qemu-system-x86 package for some
reason, you'll have to arrange to do the same with a custom script in that
directory, or just in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

--
Chris Lalancette