[libvirt] HELP: after host upgrade to F11, guest runs extremely slow

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue May 26 16:26:24 UTC 2009

Chris Lalancette wrote:

>>> Ok, once I got both kernel modules loaded, it created the /dev/kvm
>>> device and now everything runs fine.
>>>

>> Well, not quite so fine.  If I reboot the machine then the kvm modules
>> are no longer loaded.  How do I keep these modules loaded?
>>

> I'm assuming that you haven't installed qemu from the F-11 packages.  If you
> install the qemu-system-x86 on F-11, it comes with a file
> /etc/sysconfig/modules/kvm.modules.  On bootup, any scripts in that directory
> are executed, and that command automatically loads the appropriate modules for
> you.  If you don't want to install the F-11 qemu-system-x86 package for some
> reason, you'll have to arrange to do the same with a custom script in that
> directory, or just in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Thanks Chris.  I found an update to the 'qemu' package and ran 'yum
update qemu'.  After the update then this file:
/etc/sysconfig/modules/kvm.modules  was added.  Now the kvm modules stay
loaded across reboots.  I wonder why the F11 upgrade didn't bring in
this package?  Maybe it's not on the DVD.

Regards,
Gerry