[libvirt] Mounting a raw DVD

Adam Mooz adam.mooz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 05:09:40 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-09, at 11:46 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

> Adam Mooz wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I'm attempting to pass a DVD drive of a headless server into a
>> virtual machine.  So far I've managed to mount *something* into the
>> VM, but it's being registered as a blank DVD within the VM. When I
>> mount /dev/dvd into the bare-metal machine it registers normally as
>> the DVD.  How do I pass physical drives into a VM and back out
>> using libvirt?
>> Command used:
>> #virsh attach-disk Montreal /dev/dvd hdc --mode readonly --driver
>> phy --type cdrom
>> Connecting to uri: qemu:///system
>> Disk attached successfully
>>
>> VM XML file:
>>
>> <domain type='kvm'>
>>  <name>Montreal</name>
>>  <uuid>0f79ba7f-27bf-16a0-5887-6cfa2b5569f1</uuid>
>>  <memory>2097152</memory>
>>  <currentMemory>2097152</currentMemory>
>>  <vcpu>1</vcpu>
>>  <os>
>>    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-0.11'>hvm</type>
>>    <boot dev='hd'/>
>>  </os>
>>  <features>
>>    <acpi/>
>>    <apic/>
>>    <pae/>
>>  </features>
>>  <clock offset='utc'/>
>>  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
>>  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
>>  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
>>  <devices>
>>    <emulator>/usr/bin/kvm</emulator>
>>    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
>>      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
>>      <readonly/>
>>    </disk>
>>    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
>>      <source file='(Mangled Purposely)'/>
>>      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
>>    </disk>
>>    <interface type='bridge'>
>>      <mac address='(mangled purposly)/>       <source bridge='br0'/>
>>      <model type='virtio'/>
>>    </interface>
>>    <serial type='pty'>
>>      <target port='0'/>
>>    </serial>
>>    <console type='pty'>
>>      <target port='0'/>
>>    </console>
>>    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
>>    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' keymap='en-us'/>
>>    <video>
>>      <model type='cirrus' vram='9216' heads='1'/>
>>    </video>
>>  </devices>
>> </domain>
>>

> I haven't done this for a while but I believe you have to issue a
> 'detach' command afterwards.
>
> -Gerry
>
> --

# virsh detach-disk Montreal hdc
Connecting to uri: qemu:///system
error: this function is not supported by the hypervisor: only SCSI or
virtio disk device can be detached dynamically

? Also, I'm not sure if you understood my question.  When I pass in
the DVD device into the VM it registers as a blank DVD.  if I pass in
a non-existant folder it blows up, so I know it's reading something
from the real DVD drive.  Mounting the real DVD drive in the bare-
metal machine shows the files on the drive, but I cannot get them to
appear in the VM.  How do I get the same files to show up in the VM
(i.e. mount the DVD drive into the VM)?

Adam Mooz
Adam.Mooz at gmail.com
AdamMooz at me.com