[libvirt] Remaining interface state reporting issue - bond options

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Mon Nov 2 13:44:26 UTC 2009

With the patches I sent to netcf-devel last night, along with lutter's
(or DV's, take your pick ;-) netcf patch to eliminate the segfault, my
patches for reporting interface info now pass make check with no errors.
I believe lutter will be making a netcf release tomorrow or so, after he
gets back on solid ground.

There is one issue left that I'm unsure what to do about - while the xml
returned from netcf for bond interfaces does list all the slave
interfaces of the bond and their types (and any required info for that
type), the parser for bond info in libvirt requires either an miimon or
arpmode node inside the bond, eg:

<interface type="bond" name="bond0">
<bond>
<miimon freq="100" updelay="10" carrier="ioctl"/>
<interface type="ethernet" name="eth1"/>
<interface type="ethernet" name="eth0"/>
</bond>
</interface>

I haven't been able to find a source of this information yet and, while
it may be useful, I don't see it as necessary. Once again I'm proposing
that we make these optional in the XML, such that this would be acceptable:

<interface type="bond" name="bond0">
<bond>
<interface type="ethernet" name="eth1"/>
<interface type="ethernet" name="eth0"/>
</bond>
</interface>

Once we do that, the netcf-reported state of all 4 supported interface
types (ethernet, bridge, vlan, bond) will pass libvirt's parsing test.