Re: [libvirt] RFC move logging initialization earlier in libvirtd

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:32:29AM -0500, Dave Allan wrote:
I noticed yesterday that logging gets initialized fairly far into the libvirtd startup process, so messages generated during server startup don't get logged to the same sinks that will be used for the rest of the life of the daemon. I'd like to explore moving the logging startup to an earlier point. Has this idea been explored previously?

Is this still true with latest GIT ?

When i re-arranged the libvirtd startup code last week I think I may
have accidentely fixed the issue. Previously the libvirt drivers would
get initialized in the qemudInitialize() call, and this was done before
With latest code, driver initialization is moved out of qemudInitialize
and is absolutely the last thing libvirtd does during startup. There's
not really any way to move the logging configuration further forward
than it is now

Daniel

I just confirmed that it is the case with the latest git. I'm trying to finish up the udev code today, so I'm not going to look into it now, but I did check to see that the udev register function is called before the first call to virLogDefineOutput. Maybe that's not the right test, though.

Dave