[libvirt] ESXi: libvirt python bindings

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 16 22:34:53 UTC 2009

2009/11/16 Federico Fortini <Federico.Fortini at gruppolen.it>:
> Hi to all.
> I was reading a recent post titled "ESX with Python binding", and tried to test the code posted by Matthias Bolte.
> I was wondering if ESXi should be considered different from ESX, because as soon as i tried to connect to esxi host I've got a traceback. The exception is raised from libvirt.py line 25 and is:
> libvirt.libvirtError: virConnectOpenAuth() failed
>
> Any tips to go on?
> My purpose is to write a simple python/django web app to "manage" esxi virtual machine.
>
> Tia,
> Federico Fortini

ESX and ESXi are basically the same from the API point-of-view.

Please post the complete traceback of the exception.

How do you call the script? What arguments do you pass to it?

Does the script prompt you to enter username and password or does it
print the error immediately? If it reports an error immediately, make
sure you use a libvirt version that includes ESX support, release
0.7.0 and later. Also make sure your libvirt version is compiled with
ESX support enabled. The ESX driver requires libcurl version >=
7.18.0. The configure script automatically disables the ESX driver if
the libcurl requirement is not met.

Matthias