[libvirt] libvirt: use existing network bridge

Sascha Frey sfrey at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon Oct 19 00:07:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

I met a problem setting up virt-manager and libvirt:

I want to use an existing customized network bridge with libvirt
(I need special iptables rules and a custom DHCP setup).

So I created a network definition file like this:
<network>
  <name>NAT</name>
  <bridge name='br-nat' />
</network>

Unfortunately, I'm unable to activate this network, because libvirt
tries to create the bridge `br-nat' and fails, because it already
exists:

# virsh net-start NAT
error: Failed to start network NAT
error: cannot create bridge 'br-nat': File exists

I just want libvirt to attach the guest's tap devices to this existing
bridge. I don't want libvirt to manage the network.

Is there any chance to realize this set-up?
It should work with virt-manager using the graphical wizard.

Thanks!

Regards
Sascha