[libvirt] "Unable to read QEMU help output: Interrupted system call" doing virDomainRestore() on current master

Charles Duffy charles at dyfis.net
Wed Sep 23 21:38:52 UTC 2009

Howdy. I've had this issue since yesterday, but avoided reporting it
until determining today that it occurs on an unmodified upstream tree as
well as my own local branch:

$ virsh restore ramsave
error: Failed to restore domain from ramsave
error: Unable to read QEMU help output: Interrupted system call

This happens immediately (no delay) and only on restore; "virsh start"
behaves as usual.

When running libvirtd under gdb, the failure mode is different:

$ virsh restore ramsave
error: Failed to restore domain from ramsave
error: internal error Timed out while reading monitor startup output

When running libvirtd under strace, this shows the binary being run
(["/usr/bin/qemu-kvm", "-help"]) failing with a SIGPIPE while attempting
to write to stdout. strace also shows a SIGSEGV being delivered to a
libvirtd thread (a few clone()s removed from the parent) after that
thread attempts to close all its open file descriptors above 0-2, but
without being able to run gdb I'm at a bit of a loss as to what that
thread is doing.

Any suggestions?